1. AGE REQUIREMENT: Contest is open to qualified persons in Missouri who are at least fifteen (15) years of age. Proof of age may be required. An entry form must be submitted to the Missouri State Fair, or to a participating media partner, in order to be considered for the contest.
2. ELIGIBILITY: Contestants will sing alone on stage in all rounds. One live accompanist playing a stringed instrument is allowed on stage with the contestant. This individual may not sing along, however. Guitar player must bring guitar instrument cord if needed. Members and immediate family members of the Missouri State Fair, media partners and their vendors are not eligible to participate in the contest. This includes, but is not limited to: spouse, parents, children, and/or relatives residing with such parties.
3. QUALIFY: There are two ways to qualify for this contest:
A. Participation and qualification in one of the contests sponsored by a Missouri State Fair Homegrown Singer media partner. A complete list of media partners is available at www.mostatefair.com.
B. Submit an audition video (YouTube link, DVD or MP3) to the Missouri State Fair, Attention: Missouri State Fair Homegrown Singer. 2503 W. 16th St. Sedalia, MO 65301 or send links to firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline for submission videos is July 19, 2019. If submitting audition video: Length of material is not to exceed 4 minutes; tapes/discs/flash drives will not be returned; should consist of an authentic vocal performance singing a cappella, with an accompaniment CD, with one live stringed instrument accompanist, or with the performer playing a stringed instrument. No live background vocal assist is allowed (background vocals and music from the accompaniment music are allowed); no explicit content/lyrics are allowed; a completed entry form must accompany the video.
4. CONTEST FORMAT:
Schedule: Four preliminary rounds will be held, one each day Aug 8 to 11, with the judges choosing contestants to advance to the semifinals. Three (3) semifinal rounds will be held, one each day, Aug 15 to 17, with the judges choosing contestants to advance to the finals. The final round will be held Aug 18 with one winner being named the 2019 Homegrown Singer.
Song Type: Contestants are reminded that all songs sung must be appropriate to a family-friendly audience and songs with explicit content/lyrics are not allowed and will result in contestant disqualification.
Performance Type: Contestants should prepare authentic vocal performances singing a cappella, with accompaniment CD, with one live stringed instrument accompanist or with the contestant playing a stringed instrument as they sing. Live accompanist are not allowed to sing along with the contestant or provide any background vocals. Any exceptions to these rules must be approved by the Missouri State Fair by July 26.
PRELIMINARIES: Preliminary rounds will be held at 4 p.m., Aug 8 to 11 in the Budweiser Tent. Preliminary round contestants should be prepared to sing up to two (2) songs on their performance date. Preliminary contestants who will be singing to an accompanying song are required to send a copy (on a CD free from scratches or damage) or email MP3 to the Fair prior to performance. Those playing a stringed instrument or having one stringed instrument accompanist do not need to supply any music in advance.
SEMIFINALS: Semifinals rounds will be held at 4 p.m., Aug 15 to 17 in the Budweiser Tent. Semifinal round contestants should be prepared to sing up to two (2) songs on their performance date. Some of the songs may be the same one sung in the preliminary round, or he/she may choose to sing different songs. Semifinal contestants who will be singing to an accompanying song are required to send a copy (on a CD free from scratches or damage) or email MP3 to the Fair prior to their performance. Those playing a stringed instrument or having one stringed instrument accompanist do not need to supply any music in advance.
FINALS: Finals will be held at 2 p.m., Aug 18 in the Budweiser Tent with the 2019 Missouri State Fair Homegrown Singer being named. Final round contestants should be prepared to sing up to three (3) songs on their performance date. Some of the songs may be the same as sung in the semifinal/preliminary rounds, or he/she may choose to sing different songs. Final contestants who will be singing to an accompanying song are required to send a copy (on a CD free from scratches or damage or email MP3 to the Fair prior to their performance. Those playing a stringed instrument or having one stringed instrument accompanist do not need to supply any music in advance. Contest rules and format are subject to change.
5. CONTESTANT AVAILABILITY: Qualifying contestants are required to perform in one of the qualifying rounds Aug 8 to 11. Those advancing to the semi-finals will be required to perform in one of the semi-final rounds Aug 15 to 17. Final contestants will be required to perform in the final round Aug 18. The qualifying contestants chosen in the preliminary rounds MUST be the ones to appear at the semifinal and final rounds. Spouses, children, relatives, etc., will not be allowed to show verification for the qualifying contestant.
7. CONSENT: To be eligible for the grand prize, contestants will be required to sign written acknowledgement and release, authorizing the Missouri State Fair and media partners to videotape and use his/her name and likeness during and after the contest.
8. TECHNICAL DIFFICULTIES: In an effort to reduce technical difficulties due to broken/damaged/scratched CDs or corrupt flash drives, the Missouri State Fair requires contestants to provide their music in advance of the show. Show staff will examine the music file(s) for any irregularities that could pose a problem during the live show. The Missouri State Fair and media partners are not responsible for any technical difficulties associated with audio transmission, cable transmission and master control board malfunctions. This includes, but is not limited to, operator technical malfunction, cellular interference, technical or atmospheric conditions that disrupt the completion of the preliminary, semifinal and final rounds, performance or any technical difficulties which may prohibit the execution of the contest. In the event of technical difficulties, contestants may be allowed to continue their performance after the technical difficulties have been resolved, per the emcee’s discretion.
9. DISQUALIFICATION: The Missouri State Fair reserves the right to disqualify any person who does not comply with any of the official rules stated herein.
10. CONTEST FEE: The Missouri State Fair does not require a contest entry fee for participants, however, participants and other guests will be required to pay the regular Fair admission fee on their performance date(s) to enter the fairgrounds. There is no extra fee to enter the Budweiser Tent and all ages are welcome during all Homegrown Singer contest rounds.