Recipients to be recognized at State FFA Convention
(SEDALIA, Mo.) – Missouri State Fair Director Mark Wolfe announced today that 32 youth, selected from Missouri 4-H and FFA, will be awarded scholarships by the Missouri State Fair Foundation Youth in Agriculture (YIA) committee. These students are seeking higher education at a Missouri university/college, and will receive their scholarships Friday, April 21, during the annual State FFA Convention in Columbia.
“The Youth in Agriculture scholarship is a 25-year tradition that financially assists Missouri’s next generation of agriculture leaders,” Wolfe said. “Year after year, Youth in Agriculture supporters open their wallets to support the future of the ag industry.”
Scholarship applicants were evaluated in a variety of areas including Missouri State Fair participation, grade point average, community involvement and leadership roles. Since 1992, the YIA committee has awarded 570 scholarships totaling $558,000.
The scholarships are funded through the generosity of Youth in Agriculture sponsors and buyers of the livestock sold during the annual Sale of Champions; the sponsors and buyers list is available online. A portion of each animal’s sale price is allocated to the scholarship program. The Missouri State Fair Foundation also provides significant support of the scholarship program through fundraising efforts including the Governor’s Ham Breakfast.
Mattison Lenae Ishmael, of Gallatin, has been selected to receive the $5,000 platinum scholarship offered by YIA supporters. Allison Bertz, of Mayview, has been selected to receive the $2,500 supreme scholarship, sponsored by Sydenstricker John Deere of Missouri/Sydenstricker Angus Genetics. The youth chosen to receive $1,500 scholarships, sponsored by the Missouri State Fair Foundation and YIA supporters are:
- Jackson Barry, of Canton
- Corbin Bell, of Higginsville
- Abby Bertz, of Mayview
- Emily Blaue, of Wellsville
- Bailey Boland, of Sweet Springs
- Ashton E. Brockman, of Brookfield
- Austin Dotson, of Cameron
- Tanner Ellison, of Baring
- Grace Erickson, of Bolivar
- Mariah Gach, of St. Joseph
- Kiley A. Gibson, of Ridgeway
- Shambree Hagan, of Princeton
- Kale Harris, of New Franklin
- Caleb Hudson, of Middletown
- Allison L. Jenkins, of Butler
- Claire Emma Ludwig, of Linn
- Kade Matthew Marnin, of Mendon
- Aaron Mott, of Rocheport
- Kristina Nadler, of Wentzville
- Kaylee Peel, of Chillicothe
- Elijah Kade Plattner, of Chillicothe
- Hannah Rockers, of Carthage
- Jeb Schaefer, of Callao
- Joslyn Seals, of Browning
- Abigail Turner, of Brookfield
- Jacob E. Vaughn, of Sturgeon
- Madison Walkup, of Gower
- Davis Washburn, of King City
- Sara Webb, of Unionville
- Audrey Wilson, of Clever
The YIA committee is comprised of volunteers from across the state who work throughout the year to raise funds for the annual Sale of Champions auction and scholarships. This year’s auction will be held Saturday, Aug. 19, in the Lowell Mohler Assembly Hall on the fairgrounds.
The 115th annual Missouri State Fair, themed “Come Home” will be held Aug. 10-20 in Sedalia. For more information about the year’s fair, visit www.mostatefair.com, follow the Missouri State Fair on Facebook and Twitter or call 1-800-422-FAIR (3247).