Farm Bureau/Farm Family Day
Farm families all across the state will travel to the Missouri State Fair to celebrate Farm Bureau/Farm Family Day on Monday Aug. 14! Each family represents the best of each Missouri county and was nominated by University of Missouri Extension and Missouri Farm Bureau for this honor. These families will be recognized at a dinner in their honor at the State Fair and their names with respective counties will be on display at an exhibit west of the Historic Administration Building.
Farm Family Day is sponsored by Missouri Farm Bureau, and supported by University of Missouri Extension, the Missouri Department of Agriculture, the Missouri State Fair and the University of Missouri College of Agriculture, Food, and Natural Resources.
In addition to celebrating Missouri Farm Families, the Fair will offer a variety of activities and discounts on Monday, Aug. 14. Free tram rides will be offered to all fairgoers, all day, sponsored by the Missouri Soybean Merchandising Council and soy checkoff. In addition, fairgoers can save on admission and carnival ride wristbands with coupons available at all Missouri County Farm Bureau offices.
Additional highlights for Aug. 14 include:
- Livestock shows and competitive exhibit contests for beef cattle, sheep, swine and carcass shows; 4-H/FFA Dog Show; Rooster Crowing Contest Finals; and 4-H Chicken Barbecue.
- Gourmet Mac ‘n Cheese and Appetizer Dip Cooking Contests in the Home Economics Building; Protection Branch K-9 Demo at the Conservation Building; and Eat Smart on the Go Cooking demonstrations happening in the Mo-Ag Theatre.
- The Budweiser Stage presents the Supermatics performing at 4, 6, & 8 p.m. The Touchstone Energy Stage features Cirque Zuma Zuma, Alex Miller, and Wheelbarrow Races. Helen Russell & Co. and The Wild Bills will perform on the Superior Sleep Stage.
- The Military Flag Retreat Ceremony, sponsored by Capital Materials, Starline Brass, and Retrieving Freedom, will honor Robert Bohm of Sedalia at 5:30 p.m. by the flagpole located in front of the Historic Administration Building.
- The Pro Pulling League will roar through the State Fair Grandstand at 6 p.m. Tickets are available for purchase online and at the Missouri State Fair Box Office, while supplies last.
- In the State Fair Arena, ATV/Dirt Bike Rodeo starts at 7 p.m.; tickets available for purchase online and at the Missouri State Fair Box Office, while supplies last.
Join us in thanking Missouri farmers and ranchers on Farm Bureau/Farm Family Day Monday, Aug. 14 at the 2023 Missouri State Fair!
Missouri Farmers Care $2 Tuesday
Pack up some canned/non-perishable food from your pantry and save big on Missouri Farmers Care $2 Tuesday, tomorrow Aug. 15, at the Missouri State Fair! Bring two non-perishable food items or give a $2 donation to Feeding Missouri, and pay just $2 gate admission. To add to the $2 fun, most carnival rides will be $2 per ride and select concession and vendors will offer $2 specials all day!
Missouri FFA will host their annual Food Insecurity Service Day held in the Lowell Mohler Assembly Hall, with over 700 FFA members and agriculture leaders serving those in need. Their goal is to reduce childhood food insecurity in Missouri and package 160,000 child-friendly meals that will be distributed amongst food banks across our state.
The Agriculture Building is a great place to learn more about food insecurity. There will be a canned food educational display constructed of approximately 3,000 cans of food donated by Woods Supermarket. All cans used in the display will be added to the food drive collection and head to local food banks after the Fair concludes. You can also visit with the folks from Missouri Farmers Care in the Agriculture Building and find out how you can support the Drive to Feed Kids.
Additional highlights for Tuesday, Aug. 15 include:
- Livestock shows for sheep, swine and the market heifer and steer show; and the Show-Me Stock Dog Trials.
- Competitive exhibit contests for floriculture, home economics and the Old & Wow Tractor Show and Tractor Operator Competitions, sponsored by Crown Power & Equipment.
- Activities all across the grounds include demonstrations in the 4-H, Conservation, Home Economics, Fine Arts, Womans and MEC Buildings and MO-Ag Theatre.
- The Budweiser Stage presents The Vincents and Madd Hoss Jackson, and the day is full of grounds entertainment on the free stages and strolling the grounds including Alex Miller on the Touchstone Energy Stage. Alex gained popularity after being a contestant on American Idol in 2020 and his expressive voice and traditional approach to music has brought him much success.
- The Military Flag Retreat Ceremony, sponsored by Capital Materials, Starline Brass, and Retrieving Freedom, will honor Doug Gantz of Knob Noster, MO, at 5:30 p.m. by the flagpole located in front of the Historic Administration Building.
- The State Fair Grandstand, presented by CFM Insurance, will feature the Outlaw Nationals Monster Truck Series at 7 p.m. The State Fair Arena will feature a roarin’ good time with the MSF Truck and Farm Tractor Pull in the Arena at noon and 6 p.m. Tickets for both the tractor pull and the motocross are available for purchase, while supplies last.
Mark your calendars for Tuesday, Aug. 15, and help support a worthy cause while saving big bucks on Missouri Farmers Care $2 Tuesday. Come to the 2023 Missouri State Fair to see Where Traditions Grow, Aug. 10-20 in Sedalia!